Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Post War

The war has finally ended, but the dust has not settled. The wounded and dead are still lying around. We managed to made it past all the rounds of fire, traps and bombardments, to emerge victorous. All the pain and injuries are finally rewarded.

It has since been almost 2 days after we lifted the trophy, I am still feeling the fever of cheerobics in me. Even when I go to work, I cannot help but keep reminiscing the day itself. I can say that I am still in a daze and have yet to fully absorb that we have won, It all felt like a dream.

As always, people will have many different feelings after the competition, they are all entiled to what they feel. The first year we won it, people said we were lucky, then the 2nd year we won it, people said that our routine lack the impact. But this year, there is a general sentiment out there:- That we deserved it, that we are the best team out there, and are a class above the rest. 3rd time Champion consecutively, it is no easy feat, and we have finally proved to even the most cynical and critcal that it was really a winning routine, and that they can "swallow it".

So where do we go from here? I remembered when we haven won a single title yet, alot of people were behind us to defeat the then reigning 5 times champions. Magnum was indeed every strong and are at the top of the game. I looked up to them, trying to catch up with them. And when we did, after winning cheerobics 2006, I guess alot of people were happy for us, as well as happy for the cheer scene, we ended magnum's stranglehold, and showed that no team is invincible, that every team can win. It gives teams the belief again.

But when you are the champion, things gets abit tougher and rougher. Teams will want to bring you down and replace you as champions. When we won Cheerobics 2007, the joy for us was not there anymore, and it drove the other teams to want to work harder and bring us down in Cheerobics 2008. Winning the championship is hard, but retaining it is even harder. People will always be there hoping that you will slip and wait for the chance to bring you down.

This year, from alot of posts online, I can conclude that although people generally said hands down that we deserved it, in their hearts they hoped that we did not win, or will not win again next year. I guess this is what it is as a champion, people want to see you fall. It is always lonely up there.

In cheerleading, 3 years normally marks an era(because polys and unis all around 3 year course). Cheerobics 2008 marks the end of a golden generation for NTU ACES, but at the same time also marks the start of a new era for us. Our B team performed impeccably and made us full of optimism for the future ahead.

No comments: