Leadership and Respect
Leadership and respect comes hand in hand. People often say that leadership qualities are in born, but respect definetly have to be earned. In a leadership role, it means you have to lead, and in a community not governed by paycheque or fear, it means you have to lead with respect, and often also with your brains. After being task with that leadership role, you have to prove yourself to the people, and not walk away when things don't go your way. Being a leader is not only in name, but in action.
Anyway being a leader is not easy, what more if you want to become a good one. When given a chance or a platform to perform some leadership roles, grap that chance, it does not comes easier once you are in the real world. Its ok if you did not lead up to expectation, it is how you react to it. Those with some self respect will pick themselves up and look forward to the next challenge thinking to do better, it is a lifelong process. Sourgrapes will often say I don't need it, I do not want to take that role in the first place, I did not like it.
We keep talking about leading, so what really is leading? I found a old passage that I written months ago, "sleep talking", I shall extract an absract from it...
"When something happens, the easiest thing is just to walk away from it. I know xxx have no problems doing this if he wants to. So is this the right thing to do also? Why do you have to fight a wrong with a wrong? Taking up leader ship roles means you have a duty to others. People depend on you, although it is tough, and people tend to take it for granted. But that is what a leader should be, to be tough, to be selfless, be prepared, be ready to be taken for granted. The truth thing is, you are the strong one, people need you. The strong will guide the weak. The sad thing is everyone wants to run away from responsibilities esp when things turn bad."
I guess this abstract sums up what I feel it is to "lead". It is tough, and be prepared to be taken for granted. So think about it carefully, are you the strong one or the weak ones...
Friday, February 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment