I came across the use of big fish small pond, and small fish big pond by someone to describe oneself and the surroundings. It brought me some thoughts of my own. So what fish and in what pond am I??
This is the Big fish in a Small pond
This is the Small fish in a Big pond
So what am I?
Yes, I am the Overgrown, Grumpy, Old and Dying fish in the Big pond.
This description cannot have suited me better... I have become the burden of the pond. Overstayed my lifespan in the pond, so old le still haven die fish. Everyday can only grumble about pain here pain there, cannot swim for long. Hai~!
Seriously, just look at the size of that big old fish, it is occupying the entire pond already. There is no room for any more fish in the pond, and there is no bigger pond for it to move to.
End result? It can only grow old and die. Once dead, which is much better for the pond, more small fishes can then go swim together in the pond.
The big old fish is deprieving the smaller fishes a chances to grow, fighting for their food and leave so little for the small fishes to eat causing them to cannot grow up. In other words, I am denying the juniors a chance to perform, to up themselves, to take up more roles and responsibilities. I am stifling their chances. All they need is an opportunity to learn new techniques. If they are not given a chance, how are they suppose to master the toe pitch? Shoulder standing the whole day is never going to allow one to master toe pitch. And why aren't they doing the toe pitch? Is it becasue they are not up to it yet? NO! It is because this old yet still haven die fish is still around. They are definelty capable of moving on, taking a step up already.
Yes, this big old fish is more experienced, and yes, he is more skilled, but also it is taking up too much space in the pond. The old fish was lucky that its ancestors fishes all died of early deaths, so that it can swim and grow more freely, or in fact then it was forced to grow up. So lets pass on some of its luck to the small fishes now.
Do not worry you young fishes, this old fish is going to die soon. The big pond, with all its food, and all the space to swim shall be yours before you know it...
No comments:
Post a Comment